Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Truth can set you free.

Within the past week I have noticed that many of my friends have faced and are in the midst of facing some very hard and difficult times that range from relationship issues to sobering life questions and decisions. Years ago a man who has become a very close friend told me that I had the gift of encouragement. Whether you believe spiritual gifts to be divinely inspired or born of personality traits I'll let you decide. As for me, I feel it is a spiritual gift God has given me to reach into others' lives and brighten them. Just part of the story God is writing with my life.

What amazes and inspires me is that in a few short days I have realized the importance of pouring truth into people's lives within whatever situation they may find themselves. Whether it was a relationship that was wreaking havoc on the heart and causing self-doubt and disillusionment, or difficulties in life that were shaking confidence in even our deepest faith, my friends were facing situations I have never quite experienced. But I found that truth, in all its many forms, could be a powerful remedy. Because truth can remind us of things we've always known but may have forgotten, it can comfort us in our darkest hour, and it can give us something solid to stand on as we pull ourselves from the darkness.

The past few days I've reminded friends that they are beautiful, that they are strong, that they deserve better than what they are settling for, and that I am glad to be their friend. I've reminded them that our God stands close to us even in our worst times. We bear the image of the divine. We can hold onto love regardless of how someone has hurt us. I'm reminded that I cannot look at people for who they are or what they have done to me or those I care about, but I must look at them for what they are. For what I am. A shattered image of God. A forgiven and resurrected soul.

I ask you, look around and see the people in your life. We all need love and encouragement. Truth can bring that. Pray and think and ask and figure out how you can, as Jim Pace would say, "punch into someone's soul" with the words they need to hear. It can change everything.

Some words from Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.” 

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to go ahead and comment before I read the rest. You seem to like this phrase "pour truth into" a lot. I feel like I've heard it before, but I can't place it. Now to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete