Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Living life

I often journey to Wendy's to grab some food. I can't count the number of times in Blacksburg I walked or drove over to the building on the corner of Price's Fork and North Main. Since school, though, I still make my way over for a sandwich and fries. But I digress.

In most Wendy's locations, a little box sits near the cash register for the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption. I haven't looked into it, but I'm sure its an incredible organization that needs every donation available to continue its work. You've probably seen other boxes with slots for spare change and bills as donations for different causes in other places. As I dropped my change into the slot, I started thinking about what it meant. I was dropping a few cents, the leftovers from what I paid for my meal, to help this organization. What I realized is that so often we give our spare change, our leftovers, to different causes in our lives. But how often do we give our all? How often do we go without a meal, for example, and give that money so others can eat? I don't think I have.

What I'm getting at is how in many areas of our lives we are content to give just a little, just what we have left after our needs are met. I've seen it in my own life. Seems like I do that with God sometimes. I settle for the bare minimum, whatever that may be in my own eyes, instead of working towards giving it everything I've got. Why do we do this? Is it laziness? Fear? What holds us back from living like we mean it?

I was hit with this earlier today as I stood in Wendy's waiting for my Frosty. I should live life with everything I've got. Yes, it is harder and scarier and less convenient. But everything I've learned the past few years has shown me that living life to its fullest, whatever that may mean, is definitely worth it. What do you think?

The first step is figuring out how.
The second is getting up the courage to move.

I pray we'll get up and move.

No comments:

Post a Comment